Monday, June 25, 2012

Cherry Jam (No Pectin)


I love cherries!  I happen to have a cherry tree in my yard, and this year I was also given some cherries from Eric's parents and a neighbor!  I had never even tasted cherry jam before but I thought it must be delightful!  I wasn't disappointed.  This recipe came from a 1979 canning book I picked up at a yard sale over the weekend.  I love that it doesn't use pectin.

Cherry Jam

4 c. pitted cherries
3 c. sugar
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Gently mix together in a large deep pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Turn to med-high and boil for 15 minutes stirring frequently until slightly thickened (will thicken when cool). Process in a water bath canner 5 minutes. Yields: 3 half pints or 6 small jelly jars.

NOTE- Jam/jelly recipes don't usually double well. To double this batch I made the batches in two separate pans at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment