Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie, Shepherd's Pie and Glazed Carrots... Oh My


My last cooking class topic was "comfort foods".  I really enjoy teaching.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just rambling on for an hour and people can't even keep up with my hopping from one story to the next, but I think it's really fun.  I demonstrated four recipes last time and I think it went well.  I made Chicken Pot Pie, Shepherd's Pie, Glazed Carrots and Oatmeal Fudge.  All turned out delicious!

Chicken Pot Pie
You can double this and bake it in a 9x13 for a larger family.

1 lb boneless chicken, cooked and cubed
frozen veggies (I use peas & corn)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c biscuit mix (I just buy the Walmart brand)
1/2 c milk
1 egg

 Heat oven to 400. Mix the chicken, veggies & soup in an ungreased 9" round pan. I like to microwave mine for a couple of minutes just to thaw the veggies and speed up cooking time, but it's not necessary. In a bowl, combine biscuit mix, milk and egg with a fork until combined. Pour over chicken/veggie mixture. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Shepherd's Pie
This is one of my favorite dinners!  I make it a lot when my monkeys are gone for the weekend.

1 lb hamburger, browned & drained
1 can tomato soup
1 can green beans, drained
mashed potatoes
cheese

Mix the hamburger, soup and green beans together. Place in a 9x13 pan. Top with mashed potatoes and cover with cheese. Bake at 350 until hot.

Glazed Carrots
This has been our stand-by cooked carrots recipe for years and years!

1 (16 oz) pkg baby carrots
1/4 c butter
1/4 c brown sugar
1 env ranch dressing mix

Place carrots in a saucepan; add 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Add butter, brown sugar and ranch mix. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until glazed.

Don't forget about the Simplify Your Life Ebook Sale going on now through April 20th!

No comments:

Post a Comment